Monday, May 2, 2011

Chowking Halo-Halo: Not as delicious as they claim to be!

It looked yummy outside but it isn't.



My entire family and I recently went to Batangas. And upon our return to the city, since it was a hot and humid day, we all decided to drop by the nearest food chain serving Halo-halo. We settled for Chowking Metrolane branch because of its proximity.
I guess because we were about twenty, it had taken quite a while before the halo-halo arrived on our tables.  Chowking’s halo-halo was indeed pleasing to the eyes. One would think it is truly an enjoyable feast because of its toppings served on the new tumbler glass. Little did I know I was in for a major disappointment.
Chowking’s Halo-halo may seem grand because it had a scoop of ice cream, beans, red tapioca balls, pinipig, monggo beans, among others. But all those stuff would be put to waste upon seeing the HUGE and BULKY ice you’ll have to go through to be able to enjoy the said summer concoction. The ice was so huge that it will probably take you like forever to melt it and before you knew it, the halo-halo would then be tasteless.  Don’t get me wrong, I know that halo-halo must all have ice shavings—yes, shavings and not bulky ice like the way almost all Chowking branches do it. In order to enjoy eating halo-halo, you have to stir the ice shavings and mix all the toppings together (that’s why it’s called halo-halo, if roughly translated means: mix-mix). But the question is, how do you mix it when all you have are enormous ice shavings heavily pressed on the glass tumbler thereby making it more difficult to stir?
We called the attention of the Chowking service crew regarding the way they served their halo-halo. We were even asking for some milk (it had actually lacked in milk and sugar) but we were told they’re going to ask for some extra charge. We bought around twenty orders of halo-halo (worth P65 each) that were all tasteless (it was probably due to that huge ice shavings) and they were asking us for an extra charge for what like two spoonfuls of milk?
I hope that through this blog post, Chowking will soon wake up and stop the taint in their brand name. It is really disappointing for customers like us. I used to like Chowking for a good number of reasons, but if they will continue to serve halo-halo as sloppy as the way they do now, then chances are, customers like us will no longer visit their store.
I remember celebrity Gerald Anderson once had this TV commercial about Chowking’s halo-halo where he claimed it’s the best and no.1 halo-halo in the country.  I’d say, liars…Where’s the truth in advertising? We all learned our lesson well. Next time we crave for halo-halo, we better head off somewhere. Even our neighbor, Mang Bobby’s halo-halo tasted a whole lot better than the ones served at Chowking’s.  The best part? It is cheaper for only P15 per order. 

3 comments:

Green Dei / Daryll said...

Hi I'm your new followe! woot! =)
The real score in advertising is there is no truth afterall, it's marketing per se. =) Chow King's service really suck big time, kahit noon pa. Try Kabigting's Halo Halo in NS Amoranto. Look for Ize [ my college buddy, she owns the franschise] hahaha advertising. But really sis, it's the Arayat, Pampanga's halohalo. Wait for my review about it. I'll update this comment. *wink*

Vance M. Ramos said...

Thanks daryll dear. I'll try and heed your suggestion. Can you send a sample of Arayat's halohalo? I would love to taste it myself than rely on your reviews alone. He,he,he...Just kidding!

bickeringquietness said...

I think that that specific branch is still using the old ice machine that Chowking already replaced/phased out. Right now, I so love how smooth the ice is on the mouth, it's almost like eating smoothie with a lot of toppings.

Post a Comment