Sunday, December 5, 2010

OMG: I'm joining a cooking contest this week!

Yup, you're reading my title right. I am not prepared to join a cooking contest but I seem like I have no choice. My aunt and my Mom have both registered and they needed a third party, so they had asked me to join them. I honestly did not want to, I didn't like the pressure involved in it. I actually haven't given them my nod, but they had me listed already. Isn't that clear they had decided for me? What are the preparations?

Geez, I don't even know what to cook. I guess this is my karmic debts as I had previously enlisted my mom along with a friend to join a cook-off some months ago. So it's pay-back time for my Mom with the help of my aunt this time. We should be done in 15 minutes, we need a dish, something that's for the Christmas season. I had no idea what to do. A friend of mine suggested I do a vegetable pasta mixture because it's really very colorful and would surely enliven any Christmas banquet. It seemed like a nice idea except that we need to incorporate the sponsors to our list of ingredients. Hmmm, sounds pretty easy right? Nah! If you're on my shoes you'd know what I'm talking about.

With two oldies who aren't exactly kitchen experts, I had to do everything else from researching the recipe to actually training the two prior to the contest proper. And I had to think for its presentation as well. My Aunt never goes beyond the "frying and boiling" stage. At her age, (she's about early 50's), her expertise includes hotdogs, omelet (never sunny side up) and reheating of cooked foodies. My Mom knows a little, she's good in pinakbet and fried lumpiang shanghai. But more than that, I don't know...

Guys, please wish me luck. I do not intend to win this game, but I will try. What I had in mind is to get this  thing over and done with, because I just can't stand to join a contest if I knew little of it. I do hope that they have at least a consolation prize to look forward to. Wish me luck, and please pray for me...

0 comments:

Post a Comment