Tuesday, February 12, 2013

MR. UBE NOODLE HOUSE: EXPERIENCE AUTHENTIC CHINESE DISHES

Manila Chinatown welcomes its guests

When it comes to delicious Chinese dishes, Ongpin Street in Chinatown packs a delectable punch.  After all, Binondo still had that best-kept foodie secrets and undeniable charm. Honestly speaking, each time I crave for authentic Chinese cuisine, I used to travel all the way from my place in Quezon City to Chinatown just to satisfy my cravings at Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House. 



 Back in 2006 when I first discovered about this hole-in-the-wall establishment with my late Godfather Nomer who accompanied me on my own Binondo Food Walk adventure, I stumbled upon Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House because of my love for the color purple. Weird as it is, but I love all things in purple (that’s why it happened to be the name of my main blog called Purple Plum Fairy—which you guys can check out on http://www.purpleplumfairy.blogspot.com). So when I saw the bright purple signage on Mr. Ube’s Rice and Noodle House, I decided to get inside their automatic glass door.
 
The house Specialty: Mr. Ube's Go Kong Soup or Soup #5

The author's fave: Mr. Ube Lechon Macau
 I instantly fell in love with Mr. Ube’s Rice and Noodle House’s Lechon Macau rice meal—which I enjoy pairing up with kiampung rice (I swear, they have one of the best Kiampung!). Treat yourself with Kiampung – sticky brown rice laced with minced pork, spring onions and generous sweet shallots that seemed to melt in your mind.

Beef Wanton Noodle soup is perfect for a comforting meal
 Pretty soon, I was also able to convert my family and they too had instantly become Mr. Ube fans. In fact, my then five-year-old nephew Kyle even preferred to celebrate his Kindergarten graduation at Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House in that part of Chinatown in 2006. We didn’t mind traveling all the way to Binondo just so we could get our taste of their Chinese fare.

So affordable menu offerings for customers.
 For an avid Mr. Ube fan (I’m thankful when they’ve finally opened a branch in E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, near St. Luke’s Medical Center—one jeepney ride away from me!), receiving an invite for a bloggers date with Mr. Ube was really something. It’s been almost ten years since I came across that now familiar restaurant and it’s such a great privilege on my part to get to know the man behind Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House.  By the way, Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House is from the same company behind Chuankee, CafĂ© Mezzanine, Eng Bee Tin, Hopia King etc.

Sweet and sour pork with Jasmine rice

Crunchy and flavorful yet tender Fried Chicken

Sweet and tasty Wintermelon Juice.

Mr. Ube and Eng Bee Tin's Main guy, owner Mr. Gerry Chua
 “Our vision is to serve filling and good food at reasonable prices,” says Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House owner, Mr. Gerry Chua.  “Anyone can come here.”

His secret ingredient for success, “Customers only look for four things when it comes to food and eating out: Masarap, malinis, marami at mura,” shares Mr. Chua. (delicious, clean, generous servings and cheap).


Soya drink from Mr. Ube

The colorful yet purple yam interiors are very relaxing.
 Serving up a symphony of flavors and spices from Asia, Mr. Ube has an extensive noodles’ menu sure to please the Asian fusion fan: Singaporean Laksa, Thai Tom Yum to Japanese Shoyu.  Mr. Ube’s dishes are authentic yet fresh so patrons can enjoy a variety of unique dishes.

Other dishes gathering raves aside from our personal favorite, Lechon Macau are Wok-fried radish cakes, steamed pork, shrimp or fish dumplings and noodle dishes made fresh daily, diners are sure to enjoy mouth – watering meals here.



Another house specialty is the Go Kong Noodle, with five kinds of herbs and five different components such as pork’s intestines, tito, chicken, spear ribs, and pork tendons.  Better known as Soup #5, it’s believed to be an aphrodisiac by most Filipino-Chinese but it really had a tasty broth with melt-in-your-mouth meats.
Mr. Ube recently introduced their own version of garlic-fried chicken – guests can feast endlessly on the succulent meat and crispy skin.  Fried crispy noodles with assorted seafood and vegetables also made it to my list of the must-try.
Diners can take home delicious tikoy, hopia, mochi-hopia and other scrumptious snacks and authentic home cooking ingredients from Mr. Ube Noodle House.  Different flavors of hopia, ampao, tikoy, fresh noodles and other Chinese delicacies are all available.



Mr. Ube doesn’t use MSG (monosodium glutamate) and portion of the products purchased goes directly to its owner, Gerry Chua’s outreach programs such as TXTFIRE program, which will surely benefit others.
I’d have to say that after more than a decade, Mr. Ube’s favorite meals was able to maintain their taste and has remained affordable, making loyal customers like me extremely happy.



 Mr. Ube Rice and Noodle House are located in three branches (but sorry I don’t have the address of their Pasig branch):
Binondo Branch
707 imperial Sky Garden, Ongpin, Binondo, Manila
Tel. Nos: 241-9999 or 288-8888 loc. 131
E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue Quezon City Branch
284 E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, Quezon City
Across St. Luke’s Medical Center
Tel. Nos: 722-4505
Security Blanket thanks Ms. Ana Bautista, Mr. Gerry Chua and Ms. Jenny Tan.

Disclaimer: I am not compensated for this post. Opinions expressed are 100% my own. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment